How to deal with breakouts in Summer
It’s the season we all look forward to, time to sip on a watermelon mojito, poolside, carefree- except when the pesky breakout pops up to ruin the fun.
Why? A combination of heat and sweat causes the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, this build-up of oil, combined with pollutants from the outdoors, makes for an ideal environment in which bacteria on our skin can multiply.
Here is our Founder, Cosmetic Nurse Elly Seymour’s Summer break out tips:
- Double Cleanse, especially when wearing makeup and SPF. Once to remove products, second to properly cleanse the skin.
- Use a light moisturiser, you want the skin to breathe and don’t want to occlude the skin.
- Avoid Heavy Makeup. Many people associate breakouts with heavy makeup, but it usually not the makeup itself it's that your skin can't breathe underneath.
- Drink more water, your skin heals better when its hydrated. Not to mention glowing skin is in.
- Avoid popping pimples at all costs, you don’t want to have to deal with scarring down the track and in most cases, it makes them worse and potentially caused them to spread.
- Use Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids such as Lactic and Salicylic to exfoliate 2-3 times per week. And don’t overdo it. Try our 12% AHA/BHA Exfoliating Serum at night before moisturising to wake up smoother, clear and brighter skin. Spot treat if you wish.
- Niacinamide is all round magic. Calming, regulates oil flow, hydrates, evens, reduces redness. Use it twice per day for best results. Try our Vitamin B3, B5 & Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum (Gritty Pretty wrote “this serum should be the top of your skincare hit list”.
Don’t let breakouts get you down this summer, sometimes they are inevitable, but you can reduce their impact with these tips.
Click here to continue shopping.